Decimus Peng Wivenhoe
13th August 1820 - 12th August 2014
A well-known figure in Whitechapel during the 1860's, Decimus was a (once-)living embodiment of the expression: "Two heads are better than one."
This nineteenth-century snapshot shows him transporting "Bingo" - as his spare noggin was affectionately known - in their customary gold-plated wheelbarrow. As time and technology progressed, however, Bingo found himself housed in a succession of vehicles including a perambulator, a Sinclair C5 and a supermarket trolley. The latter was not well received at Fortnum and Mason.
Nor were they welcome at Lyons Corner House in Coventry Street, but this did not prevent them from attending:
|Photo © The Tatler, October 1872|
It was Bingo who insisted they attempt a tightrope walk whilst he remained in his wheelbarrow.